Monday, May 11, 2009

X-Men Orgins: Wolverine game review



Let's be clear. Video games based on movies suck, and suck bad. Video game developers are usually given shorten deadlines to put out games that coincide with the release of the movie. So what that usually does is put an unfinished on the store floor Hardcore gamers have known this for years. Every now and then a good game seeps threw the cracks. Chronicles of Riddick and Spiderman 2 are the two exceptions to the rule. However, I think we might have to add one more game that is at least competent enough to be enjoyable. X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a die hard X-men fan. However, I don't see all things X through rose color glasses. The movie this game is based on is OK to me. The game on the other hand was quite enjoyable. Where this game stands above it's previous X-Men games is the sheer gore. Considering Wolverine is a character that has 6 blades sticking out of his hands it's some what surprising that you never really see him go all savage outside of the comic. That's where this game wins. For the first time ever you see Logan just going nuts. There is just blood everywhere. The cut scenes are awesome too. I heard the developers had an extra year to fine tune this game and it shows at some points. The overall game play is pretty much a God of War ripoff. Not a bad game to rip off though. Like GOW it has some RPG elements in it. You have the ability to upgrade Wolverine however you see fit. They also introduced a cool feature where you can lunge at your enemies from great distances. This was my favorite part of the game.

It does however have some draw backs. After awhile it tends to get a bit tedious. The boss battles go a little long, and some of the animation doesn't quite sync up at times. The most frustrating experience I had was a part in the game where I need to get this cage that was too high for me to reach I couldn't figure out how to get to it. I spent about an hour on this level trying to figure it out. Until I turned the game off. I ended up coming back to it a little later just to find that there were ropes that were not there the first time that just magically appeared the second time around. Glitches like this keeps Wolverine far from being a perfect game.

All in all I do think it is worth playing. I highly suggest renting considering the game is a little short. So if you are in the mood for some good old fashion mutant hacking a slashing X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is the game for you

No comments:

Post a Comment